With the cancellation of some key (study abroad) entrance examinations due to the new coronavirus epidemic, Chinese students’ plans to study in foreign schools and universities have been hit. The U.S. University Board, which is responsible for organizing the U.S. College Entrance Examination (SAT), said in an email to the students that the agency has disqualified all mainland Chinese candidates from participating in other overseas test centers to take the SAT test on March 14. Exams will be held in Hong Kong, Macau, and Singapore, mainly due to virus concerns and ongoing travel restrictions.
The Chinese Ministry of Education Examination Center also said on Monday that the GRE, GMAT and other (US) postgraduate entrance exams, as well as the TOEFL and IELTS English proficiency exams, which were originally scheduled to be held in March this year (in mainland China), were cancelled. This means that candidates from Mainland China cannot take the relevant examinations for the second consecutive month.
With the successive cancellation of related exams, Chinese students may miss deadlines for applying to universities around the world, and the decline in the number of Chinese students may hurt education institutions in various countries, especially in recent years, which have increasingly relied on Chinese students to pay fees. Schools in the United States, Britain, and Australia. Chinese students are the largest group of foreign students in the United States, contributing US $ 22 billion to the US economy last year.
However, Julia Gooding, director of BE Education in Shanghai, an international education consulting firm, said that the cancellation of the above examinations gave more time for students from the Chinese mainland to prepare. She said that if the next round of examinations originally scheduled for May 2 could continue as usual, these Chinese students would still be able to catch up with the fall semester.