UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Penn State, State College Borough and Centre County will honor military service members, veterans and their families when their service and sacrifices are recognized during a series of military appreciation events in October and November.
Penn State’s Military Appreciation Week officially kicks off Oct. 27 when the Nittany Lion football team welcomes Iowa for its annual Military Appreciation Game. The game, which will celebrate the 100-year anniversary of women in the U.S. Armed Forces, begins two weeks of events and festivities through the observance of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 12.
The planned events, including a community tailgate for military service members, speaker events and more, provide an opportunity for the Penn State community to join together to honor service members, veterans, their families and the Families of the Fallen.
Military appreciation events include:
- Oct. 1 — State College Borough Military Appreciation Week Proclamation: State College Borough will recognize Military Appreciation Week in the Borough, to be held from Nov. 2 to 12, during an event at the State College Municipal Building at 7 p.m.
- Oct. 26 — Women’s Volleyball Military Appreciation Game: The Nittany Lion women’s volleyball team will celebrate its military appreciation game when they welcome Indiana to Rec Hall at 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 27 — Military Appreciation Tailgate and Football Game: Penn State will recognize 100 years of women in the U.S. Armed Forces during the football team’s game against Iowa. Prior to the game, Penn State will host a tailgate for military service members and their guests.
- Oct. 30 — Centre County Military Appreciation Month Proclamation: Centre County will recognize November as Military Appreciation Month during an event held at the Willowbank Office Building in Bellefonte at 10 a.m.
- Oct. 30 — Today’s Women Warriors: Marine Corps Maj. Paige Kennedy and former CIA case officer Shannon McCombie will headline a seminar and Q&A forum about their experiences as women in historically male-dominated fields beginning at 5 p.m. in the HUB-Robeson Center.
- Nov. 1 — Penn State Student Veteran and ROTC Library Displays: Paterno and Pattee Libraries will host displays honoring Penn State’s student veterans and ROTC cadets in the Special Collections Room, the Music and Media Commons and the foyer of the Humanities Library.
- Nov. 5 — Featured Speaker: Bryan Anderson: Anderson is an Army veteran of the Iraq War, triple amputee, spokesperson and author of his memoir, “No Turning Back.” He will speak at the Hub-Robeson Center from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Nov. 11 — PTSD Run: Penn State’s Aerospace Studies Student Organization will host the 3rd annual Freedom 5k for PTSD to help raise money and awareness for post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Nov. 11 —Women’s Basketball Military Appreciation Game: The Lady Lion basketball team will celebrate its military appreciation game when they welcome California at the Bryce Jordan Center at 2 p.m.
- Nov. 12 — Veterans Day Ceremony: The Penn State Student Veteran Organization welcomes the public to attend their annual Veterans Day Ceremony at 11 a.m. on the front steps of Old Main to honor and thank all who served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Visit the Penn State military appreciation website for more information.