I4I Scholarships are available to all Illinois undergraduate students studying abroad on pre-approved programs. The funding for this scholarship is provided by a student-initiated fee.
The Fall Cycle provides scholarships for Winter Break and Spring Semester, as well as early apply options for Spring Break and Summer programs. The application opens in early July and is due on September 15.
The Spring Cycle provides scholarships for Spring Break, Summer, Fall Semester, and Academic Year Study Abroad Programs, as well as an early apply option for Winter Break programs. The application opens in early December and is due on February 15.
The I4I is awarded in three different categories: General Merit, Financial Need, and Underrepresented. Students traveling to non-traditional locations receive some special consideration. Students can be considered in all of the categories for which they are eligible, but may only receive an award in one category.
- Half of the available funding is awarded in the financial need category. The scholarship committee uses FAFSA information and a budget statement on the application to determine financial need.
- A third of the available funding is awarded in the underrepresented category. The underrepresented categories include: 1) First Generation Student (neither parent graduated from a four-year institution with a degree); 2) Traditionally underrepresented minority (Latinx, Black, Native American, or Pacific Islander); 3) Students with a physical or sensory disability registered with DRES on campus.
- The remaining funding is awarded in the general merit category. All applications are automatically considered for an award in this category.
- Short-Term (Winter Break, Spring Break, or Summer): $1,000-$1,500
- Semester (Fall or Spring): $2,000-$3,000
- Academic Year: $4,000-$6,000
To be eligible for an I4I Scholarship, you must:
- Be a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign student (international degree-seeking students ARE eligible);
- Meet the academic requirements of your Illinois College to be eligible to study abroad;
- Identify a study abroad program that is approved by Illinois, to which you intend to apply or have already applied
The Fall Cycle application opens in early July and is due on September 15. The Spring Cycle application opens in early December and is due on February 15.
The I4I and IIP Scholarships share an application. You will be considered for all scholarships for which you are eligible.