Whenever I go grocery shopping, I never seem to be able to make up my mind about the “processed meats” section. Why, you ask?
On one hand, it’s one of the easiest types of foods to prepare, especially in America. On the other hand, it isn’t necessarily the best food for you, especially if consumed in large portions. Many studies have proved that processed and red meats can cause cancer.
However, eliminating all meat forever does not seem realistic, nor very desirable. Instead of having my whole family become vegetarian, I’ve come up with substitutions for common processed meats. In this case, I’ve exchanged the typical sausage with a healthier chicken breast sausage, based off a popular Polish recipe.
Effects of Eating Chicken Breast
Chicken breast is a great source of lean, low fat protein. It encourages muscle growth and development, giving you a healthy body.
Chicken breast also carries an amino acid called tryptophan, which gives you a feeling of comfort and helps alleviate stress levels. Additionally, eating it suppresses and controls homocysteine levels, which is an amino acid that can cause cardiovascular disease. Methionine, another amino acid in chicken, aids growth and helps increase metabolism levels, as well as lowering levels of liver fat.
Nutrition Facts (Serv Size 180g)
Calories 365kcal, Carbohydrate 20.1g, protein 31.0g, fat 17.9g
2 tsp oil, 120g (4oz) white mushrooms, 400g (13oz) ground chicken breasts, 70g (2.5oz) bread crumbs, 2 eggs (separated), 1/4ts nutmeg or cinnamon, 1/2tsp salt, 1/8tsp pepper, 3Tbsp all-purpose flour, 3Tbsp oil
RECIPE (3-4 serves, prep time: 15min, cook time: 11 min)
- Finely chop mushrooms and chicken breast(s)
- Heat 2tsp oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the mushrooms for 6 minutes, until all the juices have evaporated.
- Mix the finely chopped chicken breast, yolks, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bread crumbs thoroughly. Then with your hands, knead the mixture until it is thicker and denser.
- Separate about 2Tbsp meatballs, shape the mixture so that it is about 3inch (7cm) long and has a 1 inch (2.5cm) radius. Roll into the whisk the egg white after flour to coat.
- Heat 3Tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the sausage for 10 minutes, until it turns golden brown.
Simply Olive / Nutritionist, cook